Saturday, January 5, 2008

Starting My Project

On New Year's Eve we were talking about resolutions and goals for 2008. One of my goals is to climb at least ten 4000-footers within the year. A "4000-footer" is a mountain with a summit higher than 4000 feet above sea level, and there are 67 of them in New England. Over half of them are in New Hampshire. Last year I climbed seven mountains, three of which are 4000-footers (one of them was Mount Katahdin, the highest mountain in Maine, at 5,268 ft.).

My dad and I came up with the idea that I could do this goal as a fundraiser to raise money for my school, and that we could ask friends and family to pledge money for me. My school wants to go "green," which means we use less electricity, do a better job recycling, and help save the planet. So, I thought that we could raise money for the school to help pay for things that will make it "green." We talked to the Executive Director at my school about this idea and she said that it was a great idea. "You've got a 'green' light from me," she said.

Last night, my mom, dad, and I were setting up this website and were trying to think of good names for it. We settled on "summitsformyschool.blogspot.com," but other ideas included these:

evansgreenschooltrek.blogspot.com
timetoclimbformyschool.blogspot.com
givememoneyformyschool.blogspot.com
gototheATMandcomebackwithmoneyforme.blogspot.com
mywebsiteiscoolwithaK.blogspot.com

We're going to spend some time over the weekend working on the website, trying to figure out how to make this fundraiser work.




5 comments:

Jeffrey L. Seglin said...

Evan,

What a wonderful idea! And what a terrific beginning to a blog devoted to that idea.

As a board member of your public charter school and your Papa, I am very proud of you.

Love,

Papa

Anonymous said...

Evan,
This is a wonderful adventure you're starting. It makes me very proud to be part of your family. Maybe someday a mountain will be named after you!

Papa and I are happy to get your fundraising started.
Love,
Nana

Anonymous said...

Evan --

What a great idea -- to combine something you enjoy doing while achieving a useful result for others! You can take pride in this effort for a long time.

I'm also impressed that you're making such progress in using the Internet. I wouldn't know where to begin to create a blog.

Love,

Grandpa

Mike Zupkofska said...

Evan,

Best wishes and success on your quest. Your family and school are rightly very proud of you as is the town of Rockland to have you as one of its citizens. Be safe on your hikes.

Sincerely,

Michael Zupkofska
Selectman, Town of Rockland

emily said...

evan, this is your art teacher, emily. i am very impressed with this concept, your website, and the amount of funds raised so far! what a fantastic endeavor! good luck hiking all those big peaks! don't get TOO tired! (i climbed katadhin at SIXTEEN and was wiped out for a week! hee hee.)i hope my kids will be as compassionate and charitable as you are when they are older. you are completely inspirational!
see you in art class!
emily